Thesis 14 of Luther’s Heidelberg Disputation (1518) states, “Free will, after the fall, has power to do good only in a passive capacity, but it can always do evil in an active capacity.”
You don’t need God’s power to do evil. But in order to do good, you need God’s power to overcome sin and free your will. You need God’s Spirit to raise you from the dead.
This important truth is carefully laid out in Scripture:
- You were dead. Paul affirms this in Ephesians 2:1 “you were dead in your trespasses and sins”.
- The Spirit gives life. Jesus stated in John 6:63 “It is the Spirit who gives life”.
If you think that the power of your effort brought you into a right relationship with God, then you are gravely mistaken and have bought into a false gospel that cannot put your life into the hands of the Potter for healing.
Μόνο ο Χριστός
If you believe the good news that God possesses the power to save (Romans 1:16), receive Christ today.
Here is how:
- Admit that you are a sinner and in need of a Saviour
- Believe on Jesus Christ and the fact that God raised him from the dead
- Confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord