A question for couples to consider during marital conflict for couples with children is, “what are your top three life priorities?”
Potential answers might be:
- raising our children right
- maintaining order amidst the chaos
- having a clean house
- giving our children every chance to succeed
As believers, we know that loving God should be our top priority. In the hustle and bustle of life, our spouse – our second priority – is often pushed down to the bottom of the list. Here are a few thoughts with regards to the way in which God established and prioritizes the marriage relationship over other human relationships:
- The husband and wife relationship is permanent because it is rooted it in creation itself. It is the most permanent human relationship God created (Genesis 2:18, Matthew 19:4-5).
- The husband and wife relationship is a reflection of a Christian’s relationship with the Lord (Ephesians 5:25-32)
- Husbands and wives are commanded to leave their father and mother and be one flesh (Genesis 2:24, Matthew 19:5).
When we prioritize life in accordance with God’s design, marriage works.